Regular home maintenance is important!
You should not allow minor repairs to mount up. Your home maintenance plan is essential to creating a safe environment and for protecting your investment. As part of your home maintenance list the following safety precautions are essential:
Install the following
- Change the locks on all exterior doors for security purposes if keys have gone missing.
- Install smoke detectors on each level of the home. Install carbon monoxide detectors where any fossil fuels may be burned i.e. near the heater, gas stove, near garage entry’s, near fireplaces, etc. If these devices are already present, change the batteries and make a note of when you did to schedule future battery replacements the same time next year.
- Install fire extinguishers near stoves, in garages, and keep one handy near fireplaces and woodstoves.
- Create a fire exit plan to evacuate your home or business in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Clean and check your main shutoff points of water, gas, and electrical systems. These locations will have been pointed out to you if you joined your inspector during your inspection.
Monthly home maintenance
- Check that your fire extinguishers are fully chargedand serviced.
- Remove and replace heating and cooling filter elements. If they are the reusable type just clean and replace.
- Inspect and clean electronic air cleaners and humidifiers.
- Clean your gutters and downpipes to ensure proper water flow.
- Check plumbing fixtures for leaks. A leak can happen quickly.
- Check your water bill and energy bills for excessive costs. Often times these can point to a leak or even a failing electrical device, such as your refrigerator.
Spring and Autumn maintenance
- Check your roof and flashings for signs of damage.
- Check your roof space for evidence of leaks. Make sure vents are not clogged. Level out the insulation if necessary. Often when windy the insulation around your vents will move around.
- Trim back trees and shrubs away from the home.
- If you have a basement check for evidence of leaks.
- Check all walkways for movement and repair any trip hazards that may develop.
- Clean and operate all windows and doors.
- Test all Earth Leakage devices.
- Check exterior hose taps for leaks and repair.
- Test your pressure regulating valve on your hot water geyser or cold water service into your home.
- Inspect for the evidence of vermin, termites and insects, treat as needed.
- Test your garage doors and clean and lubricate all moving parts.
- Clean or replace exhaust fan filters.
- Service, clean or inspect all major appliances in your home per manufacturers recommendations.
- If you have a swimming pool, check the pump and pool filter operate properly.
- Test the pool water.
Annual home maintenance
- Replace all smoke detector batteries and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Have all heating, cooling and water systems serviced and cleaned.
- Inspect chimneys and clean them.
- Examine all electrical panels and operate breakers to ensure they are not sticking. DO NOT TAKE THE COVER OFF THE PANEL!!
- If you have a borehole, have your borehole tested and have your pump and service tank inspected for leaks or evidence of wear.
- All homes are suspect of wood destroying insects (termites, carpenter bees, carpenter ants, etc.). Have your home inspected annually by a professional and treated if necessary.