- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mould off hard surfaces
with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are mouldy, may need to be replaced.
condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom
sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
Moulds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually
any substance, providing moisture is present. There are moulds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
What is mould?
has been around since the beginning of time and, yes, it’s everywhere – indoors and outdoors. It’s the common word for any fungus
that grows on food or damp surfaces, and can be black, white or almost any colour.
Mould often looks like a stain or smudge,
and it may smell musty. It can enter the home through windows, vents, open doorways, heating and air-conditioning systems, and by
attaching itself to clothes, shoes, linen, bags and pets.
Some of the common places in homes where mould can be found include:
Is mould harmful?
reports about the effects of mould include the term “toxic mould”. However, experts say this term can be misleading, since only certain
mould spores produce toxins, and only under certain conditions.
“Just because a particular mould can produce toxins, doesn’t
mean it will. Even if the mould is producing toxins, a person must breathe in a sufficient dose to be affected. It’s highly unlikely
that you could inhale enough mould in your home or office to receive a toxic dose,” researchers say in Lung Disorders Special Report:
9 Common Mould Myths, published as part of the John Hopkins Medical Alert.
Although only toxic under exceptional conditions,
mould can adversely affect your health, especially if you suffer a pre-existing respiratory condition such as asthma.
to the findings published recently in the journal Respirology, indoor mould can increase the risk of active asthma, even in those
who aren’t allergic to mould. “Reducing home exposure to mould and environmental tobacco smoke might reduce asthma and asthma-related
respiratory symptoms,” the researchers said.
Some people are especially sensitive to mould and may display symptoms that include:
Eye, nose and throat irritation
Coughing and phlegm build-up
Wheezing and shortness of breath
Symptoms of asthma and any number of allergic
Tackling mould at home
Indoors, mould can be found where humidity levels are high, such as in basements or showers.
Most times, it’s not necessary to get professional help to remove it. You can simply remove it with over-the counter products.
the following measures by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention can help you avoid mould in your home altogether:
humid months, use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier.
Make sure there is adequate ventilation.
Before painting, add mould inhibitors
to the paint.
Use mould killing products to clean your bathroom and kitchen.
Don’t carpet your bathrooms and basements.
Remove or replace
previously soaked carpets and upholstery.
Taken from articles by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors and Health
Your and your familie's health is your single most important duty to ensure. Take these measures to protect
your familie's health. For more information and advice contact me, your InterNACHI certified home inspector.